Sunday, January 10, 2010

The deep secrecy of my own being is often hidden from me by my own estimate of what I am.  My idea of what I am is falsified by my admiration for what I do.  And my illusions about myself are bred by the contagion from the illusions of other men.  We all seek to imitate one another’s imagined greatness.

If I do not know who I am, it is because I think I am the sort of person everyone around me wants me to be.  Perhaps I have never asked myself whether I really wanted to become what everybody seems to want…

-Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island

1 comment:

wolfy said...

sometimes, sometimes, you find yourself alone and being for just a moment, the thing that you most want to be, unfettered by the little currents that people send your way...its these fleeting moments that you have to gather up and collect, like small stones you find on the beach that you put in a jar and admire from time to time...